Skip to content
How to disable and re-enable Windows Defender on Windows 10 using Windows Security
- Open Start > Windows Security
- Click on Virus and Threat Protection
- Under Virus and Threat Protection Settings, click on Manage Settings
- Real-Time Protection is the option you’re looking for, toggle that off.
- To re-enable it, repeat steps 1 – 4 again but toggle it on at the end.
How to permanently disable Windows 10’s Defender using the registry
- Open the Registry Editor by searching regedit in the Search Bar.
- Copy and paste the following into the new address bar (if you’re on an older device, simply navigate to it manually): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
- Right-click on the Windows Defender folder icon and select New > DWORD
- Name that key DisableAntiSpyware and save it
- Double click the DWORD to open up a pop-up and change the DWORD value from 0 (disabled) to 1 (enabled)
- Save your changes and restart your PC to apply them. To revert, simply repeat the steps but change the DWORD value back to 0.